Saturday, December 14, 2013

I Will Not "Get Used to It"

A year ago today 20 young children and six educators lost their lives in a random act of violence. Not only did Sandy Hook effect everyone glued to their TVs but it also impacted every single school in America.

My school decided to have lock down drills and we had meetings on what we as teachers should do if a gunman comes into the buliding.

I have said this 100 times before and I will say it 100 times again: something needs to change because "protector from gunman" should not be in my job description.

Don't get me wrong;  I like to think I would take a bullet for my kids (you never know until you're in the situation) but why do I have to prepare for that?

When I say this to people they respond with something along the lines of "Well that's the world we live in. You just have to get used to it."

You want me to get used to having to deal with random violence? You want my kids have to get used to that?

What type of monster are you?

Violence is something no person should ever have to "get used to." Schools are supposed to be safe. Not filled with lock down drills or armed guards on the property. I've just described a prison.

I don't have the answers or the solution to this problem. All I know is what is currently happening isn't working.  My kids shouldn't be afraid of being shot going to school. They shouldn't have to "get used to it" and I'm sure the teachers at Sandy Hook would agree with me.

Remember the 26 adults and children that lost their lives due to the mentality of "get used to it" and don't let people use that as an excuse for maintaining the status quo.

No comments:

Post a Comment